2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Beach Court (Part II)

The next step was to look into suitable drainage and then getting the sand in. Unfortunately, all of that was put on hold when my wife called me and said that some guy from the county of Santa Barbara had come by and put a work stoppage tag on the project. That was a couple of days after we had finished digging it all out.

Up to this point I had spent around $800 for the rental of the heavy equipment. Getting rid of all the greens, trash, ect... ended up costing quite a bit more than I anticipated. A couple hundred under $3,000. I was already in over $3500. I was hoping to be about a grand less than that but that is how it flies I guess.

Couldn't finish the court as I wanted because of the work stoppage order. Seems that if you move over 50 cubic yards of dirt on your property you have to get a land use permit in Santa Barbara County. Normally they would never bother with a beach volleyball court, but we have a wonderful neighbor who likes to get involved in everything and was afraid I was doing a commercial court or something. The county got a complaint and therefore they had to investigate it. The county guy actually apologized to me and seemed a little bit embarrassed and annoyed to be out busting a guy who wanted to put a little beach volleyball court in his backyard. He had bigger fish to fry and this was essentially a waste of his time. Now I had to jump through all the county hoops to get the land permit and this would take time.

To make matters worse, along came a deluge of rain in the month of March. Instead of a beach volleyball court in my backyard, I now had a duckpond!! I had to submit a ton of plans which fortunately Mark was familiar with and did all of the drawings. I submitted the plans along with a nice donation of almost $2G to the county to be able to build my beach court as well as all the fines because I did not get the permit before beginning the project even though every person I spoke with shook their head and asked me why on earth I was getting a permit for this beach court?

The plans eventually received the stamp of approval but I had already lost 2 months time as it was now late April of 2006. I also still had a my duck pond that was starting to dry out now but not enough so that I could start anything. To complicate matters I had already began the 2006 beach season and my weekends were now spoken for until late September. Mark, the guy helping me out, had the official start of fire season too so he was essentially out as well.

My project was now on hold until early fall depending on when they called the fire season. I was already in over $5G and the nice shaping ect... that Mark had done of the court was gone from all the rain beating down into the court. My troubles had only just begone though.

7 comments:

UmassJSP said...

Todd-
As Slick Willie Bill Clinton would say "I feel your pain". I needed 13 blusetone stairs put in to replace the piece of crap my builder put on the house originally. Took the contractor and 3.5 weeks longer than expected and $4000 over budget. Plus they destroyed my lawn so I had to put it all back together. The condo lifestyle may be the way to go!. As for my neighbors I think I am the only one on this cul de sac that isnt in the mafia or spying for a foreign government so they never bother me. Enjoying your story.....Scott

Anonymous said...

Todd

Great reading. Hope your autumn in SB is going well. It is was always a close second for me, compared to those months in March/April when SB really shines, and the rains have subsided.

Only 279 days until Beijing 2008. We just received word from co-sport, and was only able to get tickets to the beach volleyball events on 08/15/08 (both am and pm). Apparently Beijing is being very tight with ticket allocation. We got ousted from any tickets to the finals, but I guess we can always look to scalpers. We did manage three days of Indoor VB. Currently our family plans to head out 08/14/08 for ten days

The SB offer did not work out (our daughter wants to finish school here) and having moved repeatedly as a child I am oversympathetic to her concerns. C'est la vie.

We did have a great meal at CST though. Hasn't changed a bit.

Have a great winter.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Todd: Whatever you do, stay away from using sand that's similar to what was used in Tampa or Charleston! What a nightmare... Karch is still complaining!! ; )

- Steve (East Coast)

Anonymous said...

todd, I stayed up long enough to catch the final match of the womens fivb and it was a battle with kerri and misty winning in 3. I just wanted you thoughts about teams. men and women going big, i.e. team B/Y for instance. Your thoughts on this becoming the norm for both genders in the near future. Enjoy your time off during the holidays...alan beverly/birmingham alabama

Anonymous said...

Todd-

Ahh... the trials and tribulations of a BVB player. I look forward to your next edition.

On a quick side note, I once recall hearing in a broadcast this summer that your partner Phil used to sit on his couch and practice his hand set (thinking 'quiet hands'). Any chance you can pop a video of him doing this up somewhere so that us scrubs have something to do all winter?

Thanks,

Jsev

Todd Rogers said...

Scott - Interesting neighbors.

Jeff- I always liked the fall myself. Surf is going up, temps are falling down. Plus it means things are slowing down for me. Love March/April though when I am fired up to get down to the beach and play some.
I heard that tickets were tight and being regulated by China. Hopefully we will be meeting up in Beijing then.
Glad you got in the meal at Cold Springs.

Steve- Got some pretty good sand. Not as good as Hermosa/MB but pretty deep to work out in.

Alan- Big and Big is the way it will continue to go. Everyone that is coming into the game is bigger than the guys going out and it has been that way every year since the shorter court was instituted. There will always be exceptions like Nick, Aaron W. and me though. For me it is simple: Bigger Court = sidout really well and score by 1)Jump Serve, 2)Defense (mostly dropping from the block), 3)Block.
Small Court = Sideout well and score by 1)Block, 2)Defense, 3)Jump Serve.

Jsev- Didn't we all at some point in time sit and set? I did. Have to touch base with Phil about that video. Somehow I don't think it is out there.

Todd

Anonymous said...

Todd,
First, good luck this week, hope you bring back a medal!
Question- my wife and I are attempting to build a backyard court in S.B., any tips on speeding up the county permit process?We're submitting for the permit now. How'd they feel about putting a sandpit in the backyard, not the most common request I'm guessing?:).
Thanks,
-Matt