2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Friday, October 10, 2008

Almost a Second Marriage

A partnership in beach volleyball is much like a marriage with the exception of you don't bye your partner a nice diamond ring. Unless of course you really want to play with that guy or gal!

I have been very fortunate in the partners I have had. Dax and I essentially grew up together. He is much older than me (1 year) so he took the veterans roll. :) Dax and I have known each other since we were about 7 years old or so. We started playing when we were still in High School and our partnership was based more upon the friendship we developed over time than a purely business relationship. We got along together great because we have similar interests and were kind of growing up and learning the whole "AVP thing" together. We also shared the same family values and were both married which helped a couple of young guys on tour make the right decisions. In the end, he had a great opportunity to play with current gold medalist Eric Fonoimoana and in truth his game at that time had passed me by. We had a difficult 2001 with the rule changes, the AVP really struggling and going to Europe for 9 straight weeks. I think that it was the right decision as our performance on the court was starting to effect our friendship and going in different directions would be best for both our friendship and our volleyball careers. The one thing I will say is that if the court had not changed along with the rules, I think Dax and I were poised to be a dominant team. But we shall never know.

From there I played with Sean Scott for the next 4 years. I played professionally with Dax for 5 years but we had been playing together for about 6 years before that too. With Sean I was switching sides and going from the left side to the right. I struggled with that for most of the 2002 season. I figured it out by the 2003 season and played at a much higher level from there on out. Sean and I developed a good friendship as we travelled to AVP and FIVB events. We shared a lot of stories and good times and I still consider him a good friend to this day.

Playing with Phil the last 3 seasons has obviously been great. This is due much in part to our success. The reality is that when you are successful like Phil and I have been successful it becomes easy to get along. Doesn't make sense to get annoyed with little things in the hotel room when you just won an FIVB Grand Slam or an AVP event. Not to mention that you are on such a high that almost nothing would bother you anyways. Phil and I have experienced very little in lows and have had very little in the way of winning droughts. I know we had a mid-season drought of about 5 or 6 tourneys in 2007 but much of that was on the FIVB. We have faced very little adversity over our 3 year partnership. I consider that a blessing and hopefully that will continue through the 2009 season and beyond.

All three of the guys I have played with are very mellow guys. In that respect they are very much like me. None of us are "high maintenance" guys. We are content with chilling in the hotel and reading a book or shooting the you know what. We don't need to constantly be moving and doing something. Certainly I think it helps to be a Type B personality rather than a Type A when on the FIVB tour and maybe even on the AVP tour as well.

I consider Dax, Sean and Phil my friends. Regardless of what happens on the tour or has happened in the past, all 3 of these guys will remain my friend over the test of time. All of us have gone through a lot together and that is something that none of us will forget. Hope I answered your question Drew.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Thanks for the retrospective. It's clear to me that you really value the relationships you have with your partners in addition to valuing your collaborative efforts to succeed. I think there is a direct connection between the two.

In addition to being "Type B" guys, it seems that you and Phil have very little "ego". I loved hearing Phil reflect on his blocks on Jaws in the Gold Medal match by saying "I guess I was just lucky".

It reminds me of what the great John Wooden said: "It's amazing what is accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

I hope you are relishing your family time, surfing time, and rest. Since you're not building a volleyball court in your backyard, I'm curious if you have other hobbies that occupy your time.

Dave in San Diego

UmassJSP said...

Great post Todd! I will admit when you and Dax came on the scene I was like "who are these ham and eggers??". I wanted the Stoklos/Smith/ AJ/Karch/Steffes/Frohoff era to continue forever and didnt like the "Young Guns" coming onto the tour. Like you said you and Dax werent the Tim Hovland "volleyball in one hand bottle of Jose Cuervo in the other hand" pack. You made the right lifestyle and career choices and it all paid off. You should be proud to look in the mirror. Keep the stories coming and I love any of the recollections of the early 90's and the characters that were on tour then.

Just went thru my portfolio and I am down about 19%. Not selling into the panic.......good luck to everyone on that front....Scott from Cape Cod

Anonymous said...

Nice post almost a book in short form. Great read. Gives a perspective to and from where you have been, good to know you have 2009 clearly in sight well. Which I look forward to seeing it as well.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the blog. Would love to hear about your off season training after you take a much deserved break. Congratulations on all your success this year.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Obviously I respect you and your game a great deal. What is missing from the AVP right now is a narrative. There are no bad guys, no good guys. The volleyball is better than it's ever been, but its not like back in the day when I had to go in person to heckle Kent, or laugh and how wacky Stokolos was, or to wait for the Hovland meltdown. I think pound for pound the skill level is way higher today, but the stories were fantastic. I guess what I'm saying is I wish there was a bad guy to root against. Maybe you could get Phil to growl at some little kids??? ;)

C