2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Track Workout

I just started working out in the weight room yesterday, November 3rd which made me think that it was time to Blog on my track and beach workouts with our trainer Sandy Combs. Something I started last year was getting in the weight room a little earlier than in years past. I found that when I ease into my workouts my body responds much better than when I just jump in. If I start in December and we jump in hard I am sore all over. Yesterdays workout was about trying to get the muscles accustomed to lifting again. I can feel it today but not to the point where it is painful. I also got in a surf on my new quad fin at a place I call sticks and rocks. Fun little chest high or so skate park.

This year and the last 2 years I will be starting up on the track with Sandy in the beginning of December. Much like my weight lifting, I used to start come the new year, but I have found that I am much better off when I ease into it a little more. Phil has started the last 3 years in January as he is visiting family in Florida over the Holidays.

The track workout is the single hardest workout I do or have ever done for that matter. It is hard on the body and the mind. For this workout it is essential that I warm up really good. I usually jog a half of a mile then do a light stretch. Then I stride the field (100 yards) a minimum of 4 times. A strider as we call them is basically an elongated stride for 100 yards. It is faster than a jog but not a full sprint. Probably about 75% of a full sprint. I will usually do a little more stretching before getting into the track workout.

The workout in December will start off with 3 or 4 400's. I usually start off at 80 seconds per 400 with a 2 minute rest in between. We will up the 400's to 5 a couple of weeks in. Depending on how fast I am doing them, Sandy will slowly bring the time down to 75 seconds per 400. A couple of months down the road the 400's turn into 300's with faster times but an extra minute rest.

From there we go to a jump circuit. We do a bunch of jumps of which some of the are one legged hops, side jumps, forward frog jumps, bounding, sprint the stadium stairs and then do two legged rebound jumps up the stadium stairs. We also throw in ab work without a med ball and then add a med ball as we get into the workout. This workout changes as we get closer to the season. Basically we start out with quantity and and narrow it down to quality jumps. We end the track workouts usually around the end of April or into May and go to the beach to do a similar type of workout.

On a side note, everyone remember to vote today or don't complain about your politicians!

12 comments:

UmassJSP said...

Thanks for the workout update Todd. Must be cool going to work at a track and weightroom. But you are probably envious sometimes of people like me that go to an office everyday. Yes I voted and turnout was strong here. We had a ballot question to eliminate the Mass State Income tax and it lost. So many people here live off the government and welfare it lost big time. I voted against John Kerry but he trounced the Republican....it is like living in an insane asylum in this state. I ran 4 miles today and will do 2 days of weights. So i will try to incorporate some pointers from this blog. We get some of the Pac 10 VB games here and it is great hearing Sunderland and Kiraly analyze the games. Have a great week everyone.....Scott from Cape Cod

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article friend. Weight training is very safe workout to perform when it is done under proper guidance. You will find great guidelines about weight training programs and helps to get slim.

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,
Enjoy'd reading your past postings on building your backyard court, ..so much I'm now building my own. Easy on the lawn mower and the water bill:-). Can you tell me where you got your sand and/or what kind it is? Having a hard time in SB...
Big thanks!!

TJ Marsh said...

Todd,

Saw that you will be participating in HWN, do you no what stops you will be making? My wife and I will be in Kansas City on the 23rd for her 40th B-day and it would be cool to see you play. Let me know if you can.

Thanks
TJ

Anonymous said...

Gee I wonder if all those unemployed construction workers and high end home suppliers can get back to work and pay there own mortgages now

kluoma99 said...

It always interesting to hear how professional athletes train. Since you live in the Santa Barbara area, how have the fires in southern California affected you? It seems like a very scary situation.

Anonymous said...

todd, wishing you and all of your family a Happy Thanksgiving. Maybe you can get in some late afternoon sets at the beach to work off the turkey. Enjoy your time with your family...alan beverly/birmingham, alabama

Anonymous said...

I would like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving. Send a Happy Thanksgiving to Phil for me as well. For seriously working your ass off this past year, I suggest you take the day off and eat all you want, you deserve it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Arsenal 12

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Phil and all the readers! A lot to be thankful for this year, especially the gold medal sweep in Beijing and the dominating season you & Phil had.
Gobble Gobble!

Garret

Anonymous said...

Todd hope all is well in the Santa Inez valley and you are not too soaked from all the rain. Wishing you and your family a happy Thanksgiving.

I expect the "things to be thankful for" discussion around the dinner table will be special this year with a fantastic 2008.

Enjoy the turkey, pinot, mountains, stay healthy and God Bless.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd,

I just read on bvbinfo.com the story about your appearance at the Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic’s annual fundraising luncheon. An awesome group they are. Also I would like to say my mom is my champion to.

Arsenal 12

Anonymous said...

Isn't it the slexdysic annual fundraiser

ps I can get away with that since I had it as a kid