2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Time to go Home

Norway is now officially over. Once again Phil and I lost to the eventual winner of the tourney. That would be Marcio and Fabio who beat the Netherlands in 2 games.

As stated in my previous post, we played well and won our pool. On Saturday we thought we would play the 3rd seeded brasilian team of Franco and Pedro. They were upset by the third german team of Klemperer/Koreng. We played the germans midday and played very well. We beat them 15 and 12 or something like that.

We were then up against Marcio and Fabio to get to Sunday and the final four. We lost in 3 games. The first game we thrashed them due to Phil's serving and blocking. Mostly his serving was setting up his block. He was hammering his jump serve like only he can. Must have had around 5 aces and set up a lot of easy blocks and points for us. I think that game was 21-14.

The second game we were in a battle. They were passing better and siding out better too. We were up serving 18-16. They sided out and then we gave up 3 points in a row. The first play I banged a ball angle that Marcio dug one handed. I was off balance after I hit and was falling backwards. The ball floated over to our side of the net and landed in front of me. I tried to get my weight going forward but couldn't quite get to the ball. The next play Fabio tipped my line shot but Phil had an easy cover. I set him a bit off the net and he shot the ball line. Unfortunately, Fabio was all over it and threw it to the sand. The next ball I lost a joust to Fabio and could not cover it. I will say one thing for Fabio, he and Sean Scott are the two best big guys I have ever jousted with. They are very strong at the net and difficult to beat and difficult to cover the set when you lose the joust. I sided out the next play to make the score 19-20. We served Marcio and I scooped his angle hit but I scooped it over the net to Fabio. He crushed a line hit in front of me and that was game.

In the third it seemed like we were always trying to catch up to them as they were a point or two ahead. Ended up losing 15-12.

Currently we are ahead in the Olympic chase but I feel that we blew a chance to really jump way out and control our destiny. 5th isn't bad but in the end those should be our worst tourneys as that is what I think it will take for the two teams to qualify.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd, another great effort from you and Phil in Norway. We are anxiously awaiting the AVP matches coming up this weekend in Seaside, and will be watching on avp.tv...and after that, we will be waiting for your matches in Germany...again, good luck the rest of the way. Also, thank you for taking the time to keep us posted on the fivb matches. Your fans are behind you wherever you play!Alan Beverly/Birmingham, Alabama

Anonymous said...

You and Phil are really among the best in the world, also with tons of potential. But I think it will be impossible for you to dominate the FIVB tour as long as the AVP exists...

On the AVP tour you have to use a different ball to begin with. Also, you dont get the experience that the other FIVB teams get. Some weeks on the AVP tour you and Phil just have to go out and dominate like 6 matches, and that aint really good for the long run I guess.

Steffen Kluge said...

Looking forward to seeing you on avp.tv this weekend and maybe live in Berlin in two weeks! Hopefully your flight home was less complicated than ours this morning... 11hrs to get from germany to switzerland.

UmassJSP said...

Just got home from the fireworks display here in Massachusetts. A Happy 4th of July to Todd and all the bloggers who lurk here. Lets hope Todd and Phil have their own fireworks display and bring home the title this week. I have been out of the loop and this whole FIVB/AVP/Olympics thing has me baffled. The FIVB site says the only American team in this weeks matches in Canada are Misty and Kerri. Why are they only team up there or is that false? I have to give the FIVB one thing and that is their site has all the info one or 2 clicks away and in a good format. The AVP site is a monstrosity to navigate (like trying to find out who is entered in a tourney). One other thought...how about if the AVP takes one of the California tournaments every year that is not on live TV and has a turn back the clock event with the old court and old scoring (no clocks either). That would be fascinating. Good night...I have a bottle of Jack Daniel's that isnt going to drink itself!!!! Scott from Cape Cod

Unknown said...

The bad for television sideout scoring to 15! Where one mistake at the end of a game won't kill you. I remember one of the Manhattan Beach(was this on a July 4th?) opens where Adam Johnson & Bruk Vandeweghe were up on Karch & Kent 10-1 on AJ's sick jump serving, Karch couldn't even get out of the way of one of the bombs. But K&K came back to win and I think AJ dumped Bruk the next week. But I digress....I also loved the good ol' days where if you weren't playing well, you could grind it out. Would K&K have come back had it been rally scoring? Maybe, but the odds would have been worse. As for making it work on tv, as it is, Fox Sports Net only dedicates an hour time slot and from what I remember last year, NBC showed their finals on tape delay so it would fit into a 90 minute time slot. And what other sport had to change its rules to try to get fans to watch? Volleyball and hockey...I know the rule changes were and are to attract the casual fan but I don't think the tv ratings for volleyball or hockey have gone up significantly since the rule changes. You have the fans who are going to watch week in and week out on avp tv and attend the ones in person that are within driving distance, like myself. Anyhow that's my rant for this July 4th. Happy Birthday America!!

Todd Rogers said...

Thank you.

We are trying to take the Misty and Kerri approach and be physically ready come Beijing. I agree it is tough when you don't see the teams a whole lot and they can watch and study you on AVP.COM for several matches.

My flight home was nice. Got the upgrade on Lufthansa and it was about 10 degrees shy of a bed.

Would love to have a throwback tourney too. Drop the big lug Phil and pick up and be reunited with Dax!! That would be fun.

Kerri and Misty are going against the AVP's wishes by playing in Montreal. They have one goal and one goal only, qualify for the Olympics this year and not worry about next year. Smart girls.

Mostly on the same side regarding scoring format. I think the beach was fine with 15 point sideout matches. Indoors was terrible though with 3 out of 5 matches. I distinctly remember sitting on the bench in a game that lasted over 3 hours and we won with scores of 15-8, 15-9, 15-8. Essentially a burial but both teams could sideout really well.
Todd

Unknown said...

Hah, would you really ever drop Phil even with the bigger court?? Phil's jump serve on the bigger court would be even sicker!!

Todd Rogers said...

I would do it just to play another tourney with Dax. I agree that at this point Phil JS would be silly on that court. But Dax and I would just have to much fun and it would be just a one off fun time. I think you would see everyone do something like that.
Todd

Unknown said...

Maybe in the God of the Beach, you'll get to play with Dax. Maybe you'll get to play with Karch. Have you ever played with Karch, tourney, practice, pick-up game??
I do remember watching you and Dax play way back when...sick ball control team!

Todd Rogers said...

Have only played with KK in practice and then only once I think. It would be really fun to pick Dax or be picked by him at GOB. We could all kinds of shoot sets and what not. I know we would have a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching this young huge inside out hitter and his left handed partner from SBCC just dominate East Beach in 1993 and telling my friend that these two guys are going to kill the AVP. Since leaving SB it has been a gas following yours and Dax's career on the internet and actually getting to see you play in Charleston.

See yah

Jeff

Anonymous said...

oops actually it was 1996
Jeff