2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Sunday, January 25, 2009

HWN #1

It has been a long 4 1/2 days. Nick, Phil and I flew out of SB early Wend. morning. We stopped over in Denver and continued on to Grand Rapids, Michigan. I had dinner with a local promoter and friend and then went and spoke to a local college program. The next morning I woke up and went to the second biggest YMCA in the nation. The thing was huge. Had a great weights workout before I had to do some media stuff. Before the actual playing started we all had a clinic to do as well as several autograph sessions. The women competed first and Angie Akers ended up winning. On the men's side Casey Jennings won in the final. I played with Nick first and we lost 15-9 to Phil and Casey. Then Casey and I lost 15-13 to Phil and Nick and Phil and I beat Nick and Casey 15-9 with me running to the net the whole time and Phil playing defense. In the finals Phil picked me and I ran to the net again. We lost 15-13. It was actually pretty fun and everyone had a good time.

The next morning I had to get up and catch a cab at 5:30am for a 6:50 flight to Kansas City. Kerri Walsh was flying with me and we went through Milwaukee on our way to KC. We got in around 8:30am and were picked up by the local promoter. She took us to the hotel and Kerri had to go do media stuff. I tried to sleep but was unsuccessful. I had to go do an interview with FOX at 12:30 so was picked up at noon. Everyone went over to the gym around 3:30 to eat and get ready. We had a big meet and greet followed by a clinic. The women played first and Diane Denecochea won. On the men's side Phil won all 3 games and he again played defense with everyone. Instead of having a final for the men and women we played co-ed 4's like we did in Brazil. Everyone had a blast and the fan's loved it. We played on a women's net though and the men passed, set and played defense. The women hit and blocked. We all had a lot of fun and all the fans I spoke to said they liked it better than the 2 on 2.

The next day Kerri and I had to get up to catch a cab at 4:30 in order to get to our flight at 5:45. We again flew through Milwaukee and got into Indy aroun 9:30. We grabbed a cab to the hotel and this time I was so exhausted I pretty much passed out for about 3 hours. I got up and did 30 minutes of running on the treadmill to shake off the lethargy and stretched out for a bit. Then we went to the gym for round 3. We did several meet and greets as well as a clinic before we played. The women went first and Diane and EY tied for first but Diane won the coin toss to decide who was declared the winner. On the men's side Casey won. He and Nick defeated Phil and I in the first game and then he won with Phil and with me. We again played 4's to end the night but had the men hit and block this time. It was a bit unfair as Phil is just to big at the net for Nick and I to stop him. It was still fun though. We went out for a very late dinner but it was at a nice steakhouse and was very good. Went to bed late and got up this morning at 5am to catch a 6:40 flight to Denver. And now I have been sitting in Denver for almost 4 hours waiting for my connection to SB. Hopefully it will be smooth and I will be home in about 4 hours. Sleep has been pretty minimal on this trip. I didn't realize what a grind it would be and I get to do it again all next week. If you are in Minneapolis, Omaha or Cedar Falls I hope I see you next week.

8 comments:

Parents of M and M Sisters said...

Wow was it fun watching you play! The 4 on 4 last game with you all was our favorite... :) Of course as I told you then you'll always be my favorite which started at UCSB in Coach Kathy's class... I wouldn't have missed you playing "live" in KC for anything.. Not even surgery the same morning stopped me! My Doc gave me thumbs up as long as I didn't walk too much, kept my leg up at the game and my hubby dropped us off/picked us up. Pain Killers were a great help too!
Hope you arrive safely and quickly back at home for some much needed R and R and family time!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you guys are all having a lot of fun. Hope the 4 on 4 goes on in Uniondale even if you're not there. Thanks for the update!

Garret

Anonymous said...

todd, sounds like things are pretty fast and furious for you during the hwn tour. i am glad that they let you put in the 4 by 4...would love to see that during regular tour, but i know you guys have to run to catch airplanes for fivb events during the summer. still can't get any word on avp tour opening up in panama city beach florida...I have been to charleston the last 2 years and atlanta which is a 2 hour drive, but i know that 08 was the last year of their contract...enjoy your pre-season hwn tour...alan beverly/birmingham, alabama

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you Friday!

UmassJSP said...

Minneapolis, Omaha and Cedar Falls? Boy Todd you are living life in The Fast Lane this Winter!!!!If there are volleyball groupies in any of those backwaters they probably rate on the looks scale somewhere between Rosie Odonnel and Phyllis Diller....egads. I went to a Winter tourney at the old Boston Garden probably in 1993. Anjinho and Loiola had a huge Brazil crowd there and they faced Steffes and Dodd I believe. Felt like and Olympic atmosphere with US vs Brazil. It was an unbelievably cold day and I will NEVER forget the walk from the trolley to the Garden door...had to be wind chill of -20. Safe travels and keep the blogs coming....maybe you can take a digital camera and get some photos on here too.

TJ Marsh said...

Todd,

It was nice getting to watch you play in KS, it seems like you and Phil are in season form all ready. Sorry we did not get a chance to talk but you had a pretty huge line of fans wanting autographs. My wife had a great time at the event (it was her 40th b-day). Look forward to seeing you play this summer. If you are flying into ATL early you have a place to practice if interested.

T.J.

Anonymous said...

http://www.lanthorn.com/38-Men-s-volleyball-olympian

Todd Rogers said...

Anna- Great to see you. Hope your leg is doing well. The 4 on 4 has been the crowd favorite every time. Need to somehow incorporate that into the summer tour.

Garret- I won't be there but I think Phil is going to that one and I think they are having it.

Alan- Panama City is the weekend of March 28th and 29th with quali on the 27th. I have not heard of Atlanta being on the schedule but I think Charleston will be mid-June sometime.

Klar- Did we touch base on Friday?

Scott- The midwest is into it and I have found that you can find a Rosie anywehere and everywhere.

TJ- All the stops have been pretty hectic that way. I have been closing down all the gyms at all the stops. Good to meet people and grow the sport though.

Todd