2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Monday, May 28, 2007

Louisville Recap

It was muggy but bearable in Louisville, Kentucky this past weekend. Phil and I had another good weekend in posting our 5th W on the AVP Tour.

We started off with a bye in the first round and then played Dain Blanton and Jason Lee. The games and scores were not very close. I believe the scores were 13 and 8. Phil had about 5 or 6 aces and I had 2 dribbler aces. That kind of set the tone for the match.

Our next match was the toughest of the tourney for us. We played Matt Furbs and Sean Scott in the winners quarters and eeked out a 2 game victory. The first game we were able to pull away and win 21-15. The second was a battle. We ended up winning 28-26 and were actually down 2 game points. We sided out to make the score 19-20 and then called a timeout to ice 'em and discuss what our strategy was going to be. We served Sean and Matt trap set him and Phil got a block. Next point we served Matt and Sean trap set him and Phil got a block. Then it was a sideout battle. I hit a ball out and they had a couple more game points. We were able to stave them off and take the game though.

In the winners semis at night we played the new and temporary team of Dax and Kevin Wong. The game started at 9:30pm. All kinds of bugs were flying around and it made it interesting swatting things all over the place. We went ahead in both games early and were able to maintain a solid lead throughout. Scores were 16 and 13 I believe. It was the best night showing as far as the fans were concerned. None of the games were very great but the stadium was probably 80 to 90 percent full.

In the crossover semis we played Casey and Mark. Mid game we were able to pull away in both of them. Phil was causing havoc with his serve. Scores were in the mid teens.

In the finals we once again battled Jake and Rosy. We were able to beat them by scores of 21-18 and 16. Not a very good game in general. I didn't think either team played very well. We were able to win simply because we were a little more consistant than they were and they made a couple of errors more than we did. Not sure why it was a lackluster game but I guess that happens sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the win in Louisville. I am curious to know what routine gets you ready to play at night after having played during the day and then having to wait for hours for a night match. It seems to me that that would be very demanding physically. Relatedly, if you don't mind, how do you balance your training and playing during the week to ensure you're fresh (at least not tight and sore) each Friday. I play competitively (and in many of the qualifiers) and always infd it tough to determine when I should get my legs training and jump training in to ensure I can play on Thursday. Thanks you for insights

Todd Rogers said...

I look at these kind of tourneys as being two seperate ones. A short one on Friday and then another one that starts on Saturday night and ends on Sunday afternoon. I take a really long warm-up before the night game too. Helps to get in the frame of mind. Same before the first round in a tourney.

I crush myself on Monday and Tuesday. Heavy weights all around on Monday and jump training on Tuesday. Wend. I train at the beach and do a medium to light weight session. Mondays suck big time for my body. Especially when I get home late at night and have to suck it up at the gym. Usually throw in 45 minutes of some kind of cardio first to get the body going. Some people think cardio is not good for our sport but it gets me ready to roll for a tough weight workout.

Anonymous said...

To: Team PTD - Phil, Todd, Dominance

From: Arsenal12

What up Todd,

Dude I am jonsing for some live AVP action. The AVP in the LB is so far away (July).

You got to be lovin life right now? Phil and yourself just might be making some history this year.

A winner is always finding errors within their game. What part of your game do you still need to work on?

Still love Stein and Lambo, but it is ok if I jump on the TPD bandwagon? You guys are rockin and rollin. I want the world to know, will borrow some lyrics from the Temptations here: Get ready 'cause here we come!

Have great week and have a stoogie in Tampa for me. I love Y-Borg City (like Hermosa's pier avenue). Just a pumping place.

Todd Rogers said...

Arsenal-

Thanks for the compliments.

I do need to work on my serving and particularly my jump serve. Phil's is dominant but I would like to score more points because of my serve. Working on it all the time actually.