2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Next up, Louisville

I am probably the only person on tour looking forward to going to Louisville. Been there three times and have very fond memories each time.

My first time there was for a qualifier at the Brewery in 1996. I was playing with Dax Holdren and had just graduated from UCSB. I think it was in the beginning of July and the heat/humidity was suffocating. It literally felt like you were in an oven and you could not get out. I remember Dax and I took 4th and Kevin Wong and Jon Anselmo won the event. Matt Lyles drank pickle juice because he was cramping. Ended up getting sick all over the place but still took third I think. Fond memories indeed.

My second time there was when Dax and I won an AVP event in 1999 at the Brewery again. Beat David Swatik and Mike Whitmarsh for our second victory on tour.

My third time was back in 2005 and was for recruiting at the Junior Olympics. I was still coaching at UCSB and the J.O.'s were at the convention center. Drove down after an AVP event in Cincy with Ed Ratledge. We practiced together at the Brewery against some pretty decent locals. Then I had to sit in the gym for hour upon hour but found a few kids that were pretty good. Fun times.

Hopefully this time around will be as fun as all the other times. Phil and I look to make it three in a row. Doesn't look like the weather should be to much of a factor. If you make it down come say hello.

4 comments:

Tony said...

Hey Todd,

Great to hear good things about Louisville. I'm from there and just moved out to Hermosa Beach last February. Most people on this side of the world know little about the place and how great a city it really is. And I've always been amazed at how active the volleyball community is there. Hopefully having the AVP there this year will shed some light on the area.

Louisville, Cincinnati and Chicago show there is a lot of Midwest interest in beach v-ball, and it's only growing. Here's hoping for a great event for you, Phil, and the rest of the athletes.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Been to L-Town myself. Didn't get a chance to do much. I was traveling with a rep. from a sales firm my company had hired.

Sounds like you have had some luck in L-Town.

I get having to sift through talent (the good, the bad, the ugly). I coach football, and the beginning of the season can be mentally tough.

Later,
Arsenal12

UmassJSP said...

Todd and Phil are going thru this field in Louisville like Rosie O'Donnell goes thru a smörgåsbord buffet. Nothing and no one is left standing. I see Big George had a 1 hour 23 minute match. What is the record for the longest match in AVP history in this scoring format..anyone know? HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY EVERYONE AND GIVE PRAISE TO OUR TROOPS PAST AND PRESENT!!!!

Anonymous said...

From Arsenal 12

I just read on the AVP Message Board that Rachel was on the Rome Show. Have you ever done his show? If not you should be he is a Gaucho. Get the Rachel factor

PS I log on as Anonymous because I can't remember my password. It is