2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Monday, August 13, 2007

Always did love my Granddaddy!!

What a weekend. Ups and downs all over the place but certainly ended on a high note for Phil and I. Not going to lie to you, both Phil and I are physically and mentally pretty drained. Overload with travel, volleyball, and everything in between. That made it all the sweeter though to be able to focus in on the task at hand and get it done.

Phil and I were the third seeded team behind Stein and Lambo (1) and Jake and Rosy (2). Our first round was against Sabla/Rupp. Played Sabla last year and I know of Rupp from his days at UCI. They played solid volleyball and we were a bit lackadaisacal in my opinion but focused in at the end of the games and won each one by 6 or 7 points. Our next match was against the good team of Wong/Mayer. KK is injured so Wong picked up Mayer for MB. Good pickup too. I think very highly of Mayer' game. We battled them and were fortunate to come out with a 21-19, 21-18 win. It was a good game highlighted with some fireworks between Wong and I. Nothing major, just competitive chatter if you will. :)

On Saturday we played team jump serve, Fred and Anthony, in the morning. Boy was team jump serve on their service game. Frankly, that is the best I have ever seen Fred and Anthony play. They both played exceptional ball and served extremely well. We mostly served Fred and he sided out very well. The first game we pulled away mid-game and won 21-14 or so. In the second game, Fred went off from the service line. At one point they were up 12-2. Fred served something like 10 points in a row. They all were bombs and they were all in. Pretty crazy actually. We "brought" it back to lose 21-13 or so. In the third game they continued to serve really well and sided out well too. They didn't get a ton of aces, just creating havoc with their serves. They tend to target Phil rather than me and he was struggling to pass their serves. I was bump setting him from 30 feet off the net and that puts a lot of pressure on me to set him decently and of course for him to put it away. The third was a battle but Anthony sided out to win 15-13. Congrats to them on what Anthony labeled probably his biggest win of his career. I will say this, it was not a fluke that they beat us as they took Jake and Rosy to three and then on Sunday morning they took out Stein and Lambo in 3 games to give Stein and Lambo a 5th place finish. They then battled Sean and Dax but eventually lost 15-13 in the third. Nice tourney by them and congrats to both of them.

So that loss sent Phil and I into the losers bracket. Not a fun place to be and one that Phil and I do our best to avoid at all cost. After the women's final we played Mariano and Ratledge. We played well and won by 5 or so points in each game. Our next match was against Scott Wong and Aaron Wachtfogel. It was the last game Saturday afternoon. I think Scott was a bit tired after going through the losers bracket. The first was competitive but we won by a couple of points. In the second we jumped out immediately and Scott was looking very weary. We won that game fairly easily to advance to Sunday.

On Sunday we played Mark Williams and Nick Lucena who had upset Keenan/Hyden on Saturday. We played very well and beat them in two game by about the scores of 17 and 17. This pitted us against Jake and Rosy who had gone through the winners bracket. It was Phil and I's first game on center court as the number three seed gets no love. I came out with my radar way off. I was seeing everything really well but when I went to execute it wasn't working the way I envisioned. We fell behind 8-2 in the first. I felt okay as we took a timeout as I knew I just had to clean it up and we would be good. I did just that and we fought back to win 24-22. In the second game we continued to play well and I think their sails were a bit deflated after losing that first game with a big lead. I think the score of the second was 14 or 13.

That put us in the finals against my old partners and buddies, Dax and Sean. I truly enjoy playing against both of them because I have nothing but respect for the way they play the game and of course all the banter we throw back and forth to one another. They were really strong in the first game. Sean sided out very well as we went after him in the first. Dax made some great digs and Sean was blocking well too. It was a battle back and forth throughout the first. In the end, Sean came up with a huge block vs. me to win it 22-20. The second was a battle until about 15-14. Then we pulled ahead as Sean hit a couple of balls out and I scooped Dax and put it away for a 3 point run. Score was 21-16. Throughout the game, Phil was really struggling with his serve. He wasn't hitting it very good and was missing a ton of serves. That changed dramatically in the third game and won the match for us. It was 5-5 as we had traded sideouts until Phil went back to the line. The next person to serve was Sean and when he went back to serve the score was 10-6. Phil served 5 straight points! The first was a good serve and then I think an error by Sean. The next was a block by Phil. The next was a net dribbler ace. Phil seems to like those at critical times in MB. They took a timeout and then Phil came out and bombed one down Sean's line for an ace. We got a 1oth point before they sided out. We kept the lead until the end, winning 15-11 on a line shot for a sideout by me.

It was a great win for Phil and I and got us another place on the MB pier. It's always nice to know you are immortalized on the pier.

9 comments:

UmassJSP said...

Good synopsis of the tournament TR. I was able to catch a lot on the FREE AVP TV and the Finals on NBC with Marlowe and KK. I think they started engraving the AVP MVP trophy with Phil's name after his game 3 heroics in the Finals. He really sucked it up after getting hit in the melon twice and having come through the trenches of the losers bracket. I even saw The Professor point to his head after Phil made a hit on 2 which is a BIG compliment. A great win for you guys...savor it. I plan on being in Boston on Saturday (about an hour or so from here thru heavy traffic). I live with 3 women (wife and 2 daughters) so plans sometimes get trampled but Todd if you are in Beantown next weekend and hear someone yelling SOLVANG that will be me. Good luck and safe travels....Scott from Cape Cod

Drew Freeman said...

Great job, guys. I was at the tourney again and saw almost all of your matches. Fred and Anthony were definitely on fire! It looked like the exchange with KW got you WAY fired-up afterwards, and you played really well after that exchange. Again, your play is so inspiring.

Drew from SC

Anonymous said...

Todd,

I saw that match against Wong and Mayer. It looked to us fans like the issue was about calling setting infraction consistently. Who was the guilty party on the other side of the net? Was it both KW and JM? I know that KW has a tendency towards a double contact or two a game, but was JM also flawed in his setting? But I'm sure it's the little comments that we don't hear that drive people crazy.

I saw in the beginning of the match where KW was saying "no touch" on an obvious touch by him. It was ridiculous actually of him to do that. Oh well.

Congrats. But I was actually rooting for Sean and Dax. I haven't seen those guys win in a long time and Sean was quite the athlete out there. But I think he wore down in the critical moments.

It must have been strange playing with three of the only guys you've ever played with.

Steve, Huntington Beach

Todd Rogers said...

Scott- Thanks. Will listen for the Solvang call.

Drew- Thanks.

Steve- On the KW thing. Both he and JM had 3 sets that were very marginal in my opinion in the beginning of the first game. I raised an eyebrow at Dave, the ref, on the first one. Said something the second one and let him know he was setting a very low standard come the third one. As the game progressed, KW and JM had about 2 more very marginal sets. Phil had a couple as well and it was close to even on that account. Phil then chowdered a set in the second game that was terrible and I didn't complain on. The very next set was a marginal set that up to that point had not been called at all on either team. Dave called it a chuck and I took exception to that. Wong then decided to make it personal and yelled at me. I had not yelled at either Wong or Mayer up to that point. That bothers the hell out of me when players do that. My beef was with Dave the ref, not Wong or Mayer. So I said to Wong, "Shut up, I am not talking to you." I continued to berate Dave and Wong continued to talk to me. So I got in his face and told him in a very quiet voice that I was not talking with him that I was talking to the ref.
We laughed about it the next day.
As players we get testy out there when the emotions and testosterone are running high. It's part of the game and nothing more.

Hope that helps.

Todd

UmassJSP said...

If any one here from the blog plans on being at the Boston Open send me an email at umassjsp@gmail.com and maybe we can meet up on Saturday. Just a note that the Boston Open isnt really in Boston but Quincy Mass. Sort of like the difference between Sausalito and San Francisco. Mapquest says the parking lot for the event is 9 miles or 18 minutes from the host Hilton Hotel in downtown Boston but I would leave a SOLID half hour to make the trip. I went to the last AVP tourney at this venue in 1995. I remember Mike Whitmarsh yelling up to the booth to play some music because "this place is dead". Still have the pic of myself and Mike Dodd from that event hanging on my "wall of fame" in my garage. There is a bar at this location so the night time matches should be well attended but not sure after 10 years if New England AVP fans will turn out in numbers especially with a $20 price tag but they have been advertising the event behind home plate on those scrolling signs during Red Sox games so maybe if the weather cooperates there will be a huge crowd. I have 2 hours of yard work to tackle....condo people are smart! Scott from Cape Cod

UmassJSP said...

Good place for seafood near the host hotel is Jasper White's Summer Shack (Back Bay). 50 Dalton Street Boston. This is their website: www.summershackrestaurant.com

The local food critic The Phantom Gourmet rates it in the Top 8 for Boston seafood experience. Another place that is good is Skipjacks. Predicting temps as low as 52 Saturday night so bring the hoodies. By the way our equivalant of South Central is called Mattapan/Roxbury. Heads up.

Anonymous said...

AND WITH MATT GAGE? IN THE FINALS

Todd Rogers said...

That was nothing with Matt Gage. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Matt and the job he is done. He is totally unappreciated by the AVP and players. He just caught me at a bad time right after we lost the first game. Let me state right now, Matt is a first rate guy. End of story.

Anonymous said...

Apology accepted