2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Boston & MB Connection

Boston coming up. First time in pretty much everyone's memory that we have gone to beantown. No idea what to expect going in. I have heard that the AVP has paired up with the Red Sox on this one and that there has been a lot of advertising about the event. Hopefully that will help and it will be packed. By the way, it is actually in Quincy which is a suburb of Boston as many have noted. Have not spent much time in Boston and I have never played there. Played in Cape Cod way back in 1997 and flew into Boston. Visited as a kid too. Should be fun.

I have to give some props on Manhattan Beach to my high school coach, Jon Lee. There was a very distinctive San Marcos High School Royals flavor in the semis and finals. Dax is a 1990 graduate, I am a 1991 graduate, and Anthony Medel is a 1996 graduate I believe. Jon Lee was the coach to all of us and was our first major influence to go down to East Beach and play some beach volleyball. He always encouraged his players to get down to the beach and play on the sand because he felt we would get better there than in a moldy old gym. For me, that might have been the best advice I ever got from him. I would harbor a guess that Dax and Anthony might say the same. Thanks Jon and good luck in your upcoming season.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck tomorrow. Sounds like a windy tournament, ? like afternoons at east beach :)

jeff

Anonymous said...

also was Karch Kiraly SB high or San Marcos. Know he finished in '79.


Jeff

UmassJSP said...

TR-
I had to do some research when you said you played on Cape Cod in 1997. I found the results (you and Dax were 7th) and the winners were Kerins and Russell. That was the tournament that was played in the parking lot of the Cape Cod Mall and downwind of the sewage treatment plant as I remember. I was there for most of the matches. Location was 4 miles from the nearest beach which hurt the attendance. Mr Nancy Kerrigan aka Jerry Solomon was calling the shots at that time and I shook his hand near the ticket booth. Seems like that was 100 years ago for some reason. Scott from The Cape

Anonymous said...

dominant, notch another win on your home volleyball court post

George

UmassJSP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
UmassJSP said...

I made it to Quincy today and got to see 3 of Todd and Phil's matches. Them being the #2 seed worked out as they were not in stadium court and I had Bob Ueuker seats..."in the front row" for 2 tilts. Had a great time and I hope the AVP comes back next year. I saw Amato getting into a chaueffeur driven Lincoln Navigator after the Finals. I put up some pics if you cut and paste this link it might work:
http://www.geocities.com/barnstable1978/4

neville lee said...

Todd, you are a literary ace...have enjoyed reading your blogs for a while...very anecdotal...a great informal style.

Your volleyball is pretty decent too, LOL :)

Your ball control reminds me of Kent Steffes when he played with KK.

Saw you play in Charleston. About 30 of us VB players came down from Charlotte.

Leonard and the AVP have made great strides in monetizing the sport. The web site has taken a quantum leap this year with all the news reports...all good...I'm sure it's costing a pretty penny but I think it's a fantastic investment. The web site's professionalism really took a turn for the better last year and is GREAT this year with the MLB partnership.

All for now...watta exciting sport :)

~Neville Lee
CharlotteVolleyball.com

Todd Rogers said...

Thanks to all.
Todd