2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Best of the Beach

Phil and I were not able to defend our title as the best of the beach in San Francisco. That went to the well deserving team of Matty Furbs and Casey Jennings. They have been playing really good ball lately and showed that in the finals. Congratulations to them on winning!

As for Phil and I, well, we were pretty average this tourney. We were lucky to make the semi's in truth. We beat Nick and Mark in 3 games but should have lost. We were down 8-3 in the third as I couldn't side out or find the sand for the life of me. We came back purely behind Phil's blocking and several errors by them. Fortunate to escape.

Against Anthony and Fred we once again escaped by the skin of our teeth. We got smoked in the first game due to a gaggle of aces by Fred and Anthony. They again mostly went at Phil with very tough serves and forced a lot of bad passes and shanks. In the second game the tides were turned as Anthony was struggling to find the court with some shakier sets by Fred. In the third, we found ourselves down 13-10. Phil sided out and then controversy struck. Phil dropped and scooped a line shot by Anthony. He swung deep angle and it barely hit the line. I heard it hit the line. The line judge called it out first and then changed his call to in. The top ref gave it to us and then they had to check the line ect.... Fred kept saying it was out as did Anthony. Ended up giving it to us and Fred just about killed the ref. I went and looked and to me it looked clearly in. It was funny as we were discussing all this my daughter came out on the sand and gave her "two cents." It was pretty classic in my view. I don't think anyone else appreciated it though.

That made the score 13-12 us down. We switched sides and Anthony hammered one angle that I picked barely off the sand and it shot over the net to Fred who hit it into the net to tie it 13 all. They sided out the next play as did we. Next play I remember is Phil stuffing Anthony for match. Escaped again.

During the first game my daughter, Hannah, who was right next to the box, was trying to give Phil passing advice. She was yelling Phil's name and when I looked over she was showing him how to get low and get his arms out in front of him. Put everything in perspective for me after that. Phil didn't see her doing that but it was a classic moment for me.

In our semifinal game vs. Jake and Rosy we straight up got beat. They came out very aggressive from the service line and had 4 clean winners down Phil's line and also forced several bad passes by him. They were really fired up and we were not. Rosy played great defense and Jake blocked a bunch of balls. Mostly me in transition as I think he got me about 3 times. The second game was closer. We were up 18-17 before they sided out and Phil hit two balls out. Rosy then sided out for match to win 21-19. We were very lethargic and just didn't have it that day.

Phil's knee has been bugging him and we are both pretty banged up. Therefore, Phil decided to rest the knee rather than play in the third place game. Hyden and Keenan took our place and beat Mike and Stein in 2 games. Phil is okay and we will be playing in Brazil in the last tourney of the year. Thank God on that one!!!! Ready for the season to be done!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened to catch the game with the controversial call on AVPtv and distinctly remember during a quiet few seconds between when EVERYBODY was yelling "it was out!" a female voice said something to to effect of "if it touches the line, it's in!". Was that the 2 cents?
JR.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Thanks for the post. I caught the semi's on AVP tv and saw a little girl hanging around your chair. I assumed that it was your daughter. It must be cool to share your profession with the family!

Thanks for a great AVP season and best of luck on the FIVB.

David in San Diego

UmassJSP said...

Todd-
Thanks for keeping the blog going all Summer. This year I followed the AVP much more than I have in the past 5 years and your posts were a big part of that. Plus having the tour come back to Massachusetts for the first time in a decade was great too. 2008 should be a fantastic year for the sport and the AVP. Keep us posted on your training for your FIVB matches. Your Angels look good right now and the Red Sox are falling apart like a $2 suit. Post season should be exciting...Scott from Cape Cod

Anonymous said...

Todd,
Great 2007 AVP Season. Thanks for the blog, no question that the AVP's Charleston visit and this blog has retweeked my interest in BVB (echoeing Scott's thoughts)

My family and I are headed to your neck of the woods (SB) for a job interview and thanks to your blog we will be headed to the Cold Springs Tavern. Thanks.

Also interested in your warm ups before games. Noticed you are very deliberate in your drills (reps of 5, carioca, squatt, 1/2 speed jog, 3/4 etc.)

My wife and I played in an era where your warm up was the first 5 points. I would like to pass on proper warm ups to our daughter; any suggestion?

Jeff

Todd Rogers said...

JR- Love to say that was the "2 cents" but I couldn't tell you if it was Hannah or not. I asked her but she did not remember. She actually came out to the refs stand while we were all discussing the call. Had to get stern with her and tell her to go back to her chair. She would yell out that it was in though.

David- Very fun to have Hannah at events. This was her second one this year. Next year I will split it between her and my son Nate. Never two in the same weekend though.

Scott- Glad you liked the blog and it was great to be back in your neck of the woods. The Angels are doing good and they are my second team. The Dodgers, my first team are making like your Red Sox.

Jeff- Glad to hear you're love for the game has been rekindled. Looking forward to the Charleston event next year. Sounds like you might not be there though. Just wanted to let you know I am actually going to Cold Springs Tavern tonight for a friends birthday. Should be fun. I will go over Warm-up and what I do in a blog.

Take Care,

Todd

Anonymous said...

Todd,
congrats on an amazing season and capturing the crocs cup. i had the pleasure to watch you guys capture the miami event and it was amazing. Definitely looking forward to the next year in mens beach volleyball and hopefully you and phil capturing the gold in beijing.

"I will go over Warm-up and what I do in a blog."

that would be great. i always wondered what the pros do as far as warming up/plyo training and in the weight room.

good luck in brazil.

David

Anonymous said...

Well if there is no "too much of a good thing" would love to treat/meet you and your family at CST. We are there this Saturday early seating.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Todd,

It was fun as always seeing you play, and it was special having a chance to chat with you and your daughter. I didn't realize you were so familiar with the Santa Cruz volleyball community. I'm very much looking forward to keeping-up with your blog over the Fall and Winter.

I want to check you guys out at an FIVB event in the New Year. If you were to pick your favorite venue / tourney, which would it be?

All the best,

Drew from Santa Cruz

Unknown said...

Todd,
Congratulations to you and Phil on a great season. I would also like to thank you for giving us an inside look into your volleyball life through this blog. I've gotten so used to reading about your tourneys on monday or tuesday that I'll go through withdrawal now that the season is coming to an end. Maybe you could every once in a while tell us about what dish you're making for Thanksgiving or how your Christmas shopping is going! Just kidding about the last part!
Seeing as to how mentally and physically drained you were at the end of the season, hopefully between the AVP and FIVB events in 2008 so that you and Phil could be in peak form for the Olympics.
Good luck in Brazil! Will a good finish there mean one less FIVB event you'll have to play last year?
I think someone asked this already but I might have missed the answer. Will you be participating in the Hot Winter Nights tour?
Again, thanks for blogging and it was great watching you and Phil play this season!

Garret

Unknown said...

Oops I meant...a good finish in Brazil mean one less FIVB event for NEXT year, not last year.

Garret

Todd Rogers said...

David- Thank you. In the offseason I will try to blog once a week or so on topics related to training, warming up, AVP/FIVB, Olympics, ect...

Jeff- Thank you for the very kind offer. I am going to have to decline but I hope you guys enjoy a great meal.

Drew - Great to meet you in SF too. Love the Santa Cruz area and the volleyball scene there. My favorite stop is Austria but not sure that any or all of the americans will be there next year due to AVP conflicts and the Olympics starting 5 days after that tourney is currently scheduled. Switzerland and Norway are very nice tourneys. Might be one down under in March too so I am hoping to be able to get to that one. I will come out with a schedule of what Phil and I plan on playing when the schedules get out.

Garret- A good finish probably wouldn't mean one less tourney. Phil and I will play in 5 or 6 FIVB tourneys regardless. Depends on schedules and stuff of course. It might mean we would skip an FIVB tourney that was a long travel distance because we had secured or almost secured a spot. It would be nice to win in Brasil and get those all important points. Not sure on the winter tour. Right now I am leaning towards not playing in the events for fiscal and Olympic training reasons. I like to start touching the ball around in January and February, not playing matches if I can avoid it.

Todd

UmassJSP said...

Volleball note from my hometown on Cape Cod:

September 22, 2007
HYANNIS — The Barnstable girls volleyball team spiked the state record last night, winning its 105th match in a row.
The last time the Red Raiders lost was in 2002, ancient history in teenage years. None of the current players has ever experienced a defeat.
But even for a team clearly familiar with victory, last night's win was extra special. The Red Raiders beat the state record of consecutive wins formerly held by Swansea's Joseph Case High School. And it happened at home.

Anonymous said...

todd, good luck to you and phil in brazil this week. keep us posted when you have time...we will be watching for fivb updates on scores...alan beverly/birmingham,al

Anonymous said...

todd, do you happen to know why rachael is playing with nancy mason and not tyra????....alan beverly/birmingham al.