2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Sunday, September 9, 2007

God of the Beach

Didn't turn out like I hoped it would but you have to hand it to John Hyden who played a hell of a tourney. Grovelled all the way through from day 1 and and took home the God of the Beach title. I didn't see his play on Thursday but obviously he played well enough to advance. In our pool he was clearly the best player on Friday and Saturday.

I teamed with Stein vs. Matt/John in our first match on Friday and Stein and I lossed 21-16 and 16. Felt like we touched a lot of balls but needed to control and convert to realistically give us a chance at winning. John played really well and I thought Matt was solid.

In our first match on Saturday I played with John vs. Stein/Matt. John and I played really well. He set me great and I felt like I sided out exceptionally well. He sided out well too and we won 21-13 and 16. Glad it was done in two games as it was really hot out in Vegas for that 4pm match. By virtue of our win, it came down to John and I as to who would advance out of our pool to play for the god of the beach. I liked my chance with Matt but had to win big to secure a shot at the title.

Matt and I came out really strong in the first game and won 21-14. This gave me a shot to beat John. I had to win 21-17 or better in the second game to win outright and 21-18 to force a tie. They came out and played very well and had a lead for most of the game. Matt and I didn't make the plays when we really needed to and when John went up 19-16 it was essentially over. They won the second game and forced a 3rd game. We were only playing for $$$ at that point but that was certainly motivation enough for Matt and I. We won 15-13 in the third to make a little more dough.

All in all I had a great time in Vegas. My wife came out sans kids and it was like a mini honeymoon. We had our friends the Rays out as well as some family and other friends from where we live. Great times with friends and some of the best meals I have had in quite some time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd,

You and Hyden played GREAT together. You guys were playing so big that Matty seemed to shrink a little.

Phil and Souza were fun to watch as well. I can't remember seeing Phil so excited.

I wanted to ask you about Rosie. I know he wasn't on his usual side with Phil, but, man, he made a lot of errors -- more than usual, it seemed.

Every tournament Karch or Sinjin or, this time, Sundy says the same thing: "Rosenthal's got the best jump on the beach, he can hit with either hand, etc., etc...but he makes the most hitting errors on the beach trying to hit the hammer instead of the safe shot etc., etc."

Every tournament Rosenthal proves them right. It's getting old. I believe that his mental game can (and probably will) improve over time.

What would you suggest to him (if asked) to expedite his emergence into a more error-free player?

Dave in San Diego

PS Im mourning the coming end of this AVP season. It's been a wonderful season and I've enjoyed watching you and other on AVP.TV :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,

Apologies if you're reading this twice - I accidentally posted it on the old thread.

I saw you/Hyden vs Stein/Matt via Internet. You guys really clicked! It was fun seeing you as the blocker - you got a couple nice ones!

One thing that you don't seem to get much credit for are your hops. There aren't many 6'2" guys that are getting way over the net like you. Have you always been a jumper, or have you developed that through plyo and the like? I'm motivated to get on a plyo routine this Winter - how much improvement do you hear of people gaining through a good program?

I'm looking forward to seeing you in-person in nearby SF this weekend.

Drew from Santa Cruz

TJ Marsh said...

Todd,

Great watching you and all the other players show how truly elite you all are this weekend. The ability to play at the highest level with multiple partners on a short time schedule is a true testiment to all of your abilities on the volleyball court. Just one more week and that court of yours is in big trouble. I know mine would like a break. Congrats on a great season and I look forward to watching you and Phil again next season on tour and in the Olympics. I look forward to possibly getting the oportunity to stand acroos from you next year as my partner and I are going to give it a go. Thanks for the updates and good luck by the Bay this weekend.

TJ.
in Columbus, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Good thing we didn't make reservations for Bali(couldn't have made it anyway)! I guess Dean will be disappointed though. Hope D&H didn't make plans yet, although it would still be a nice vacation.
JR.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I had already scouted the Aman resorts in Bali for a week long vacation over Oct 31.

Will hold off for now. Thanks for the post JR as I had not checked the FIVB site recently.

Jeff

UmassJSP said...

Hey guys-
Hope everyone on the Blog is doing well and that Todd and Phil bring home a lot of cash from Frisco. People here have been rocked by the Patriots Cheating scandal but should be a great Sunday night game versus the Bolts from San Diego. Sad to see the Summer winding down....especially living here in the snow belt. Glad to hear you had quality time in Vegas Todd...family is #1! Scott from the Cape

Unknown said...

Congrats still on a good showing in Vegas. I didn't get to see any of your matches but I assume when you played with Hyden and Stein, you split the blocking. How'd that feel and did you get any stuff blocks?
My other question is did you have provide any input as to who Phil played with in the final?
Best of luck to you and Phil in SF!

Garret

Anonymous said...

Hey, looks like FIVB in Mexico-Alcapulco is cancelled too, just Brazil at the end of the month. What does that do to Bonus Pool distribution for US teams? With no 2008 schedule yet, that will make it a little tight for Olympic qualifying for any other USA teams since they have to play in 8 matches before mid July. Looks like a 3 horse race, 4 if you count Ring-Wong who've played in 2 tournaments.
D&H in SB

Todd Rogers said...

Dave- Thanks. If asked I would remain mum until I am through playing or was coaching him. Sorry, Rosie is tough enough to beat without me giving him advice. Besides, who am I to give him advice?

Drew- Thanks. Keep mum on the jump. I keep it low until I need the extra little kick. It is a not so well kept secret. Besides, with guys like Ring and Rosie jumping 40+, no one should ever notice my sub-40. Come say 'hi' in SF.

TJ- Thank you and good luck to you. Think my court will be fine since I plan on taking it easy after Brasil. No volleyball except with the wife and kids. Good old boys vs. girls.

Uncle- I was about to make those plans but had not booked yet. One day I plan on going there for a surf vacation but probably not this year.

Me too Scott.

Garret- I got two stuff blocks. We did indeed split the blocking. I love blocking and I consider myself a pretty good blocker. I just happen to be way to short for that skill nowadays. I had no input into Phil's decision. He did not ask me and he is a big boy.

Bonus Pool for the men will probably be paid at 80% since we played in 6 events. Maybe we can convince the FIVB to give us more of it but I doubt it.

Todd

Unknown said...

Just read on AVP.com that you just passed the $1 million mark in career earnings. CONGRATS!! Hope your 2nd million comes a lot faster.

Garret

Anonymous said...

todd, good luck to you and phil this weekend in san fran...guess it will be off to your last fivb tournament for the year...with a couple of months off, you will have to take some video of you playing on your new court for those of us who will be starving for volleyball through the next few months. I see where you are involved with avp hot winter nights tour...wanted to hear your thoughts/concerns with this during an Olympic year...enjoy your weekend sir...Alan Beverly/Birmingham Al.