2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Off-Season Training

A lot of folks have asked me about my off-season training regiment. How I gear up for each new season on the beach. So I figure I will give some insight into what I do once the last ball hits the sand in any given year.

Once that last ball was hit out of bounds by me in Brasil, it was time to gear up for the 2008 campaign. Throughout the month of October I vigorously rest, rest, and then rest some more. That rest includes lots of bottles of vino, a fair amount of hops, and even a bit of the hard stuff when applicable. It includes surfing whenever the swell is up and sometimes even when it is a little down. There is a lot of running around in the backyard chasing my son and a soccer ball. Even some running down by the river to try and get our chubby yellow lab Sully back into trim snuggling shape. It entails sitting on my beach chair and cheering on Hannah and Nate in their respective soccer games. As my wife said to me, "seems like you are on vacation" to which I heartily agreed with her.

Once that difficult break of October is done it is time to get "back to work." This year I will get back to work in November. Through the month of November I will go to the gym 3 times a week to work out with my trainer, Bob Alejo. Run about 5 miles down by the river twice a week. I will still surf as much as I can and I will try and stretch every day. Spend lots of time with the family of course and take a quick trip over to Hawaii to see my old UCSB teammate Alika get married.

Once December comes around I will up the work load a bit by continuing to do everything from November but also add in a training session at the track with trainer Sandy Combs. Usually means some 400's, stadiums, and a load of jumps.

After the confetti comes down for New Years I will continue on the course I have begun but start to add in some actual ball work at the beach/my backyard. Most of this is just Phil and I. We try and go 3 times a week, weather permitting. We do passing drills, setting drills, ect... Not to much jumping, just movement and ball control stuff.

In February we start training with other teams once a week and continue with the weight training 3 times a week, workout at the track, and training ball control stuff. We will usually add in a little more jumping in our individual beach sessions. I start to phase out the long distance running around this time. I actually like running with my dog Sully down by the river. I have a 5 mile course I run that goes through packed dirt, shifty rocks, and a long stretch of sand too. I time myself and try to improve as I go. I add in some interval training stair climber which tends to kick my derriere. I don't sweat much but for some reason the stair climber gets me drenched with sweat.

In March I am no longer doing any long distance running but continuing with everything else. Phil and I will usually try and train twice a week with a different team and once with just the two of us or just doing drills. In 2008, the end of March marks the beginning of the 2008 season. Hopefully Phil and I will be ready.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the offseason, do you practice barking at officials? Dropping your head and slumping your shoulders after Phil gets blocked? Its an Olympic year make sure you are on your game so we can bring back the gold. Good luck in 08'.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the really fascinating information. I'm not surprised at how methodical your training regimen is, because you have such a precise approach to the game. I am surprised that you don't touch any volleyballs for so long.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how burned-out on vball do you feel at the end of a season, where 1 is just mildly, and 10 is you're retching at the sight of a ball?

Cheers,

Drew from Santa Cruz

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd, been reading your blog for some time now. I had a couple questions:

1) Could you blog about building your court. The only document I see on the Internet about this is like 10 years old. If you followed that, is it good or what other tips do you have? I'm involved in getting a court built so any first hand tips would be great.

2) Do any of the other players on the AVP blog? I enjoy reading yours and imagine other players have good insight and perspective into the tour also.

PS- too bad you guys didn't play in SF, there were only four matches that day and having one be an exhibition match, the players weren't playing as hard as if it was a real match especially for a $40 ticket.

Anonymous said...

Todd: Thanks for detailing your training regimen - complete w/ rest and vino in the outset (you deserve it!).
One question, what components of your off-season training will carry you through the 2008 season - in that you don't have the time (or need) to do these? For example, might it be your endurance running?
PS- Ignore the 1st poster's remarks!

- Steve

Todd Rogers said...

anononymous- I don't practice but do visualize yelling at officials. Part of the game that I, and believe it or not, most of them enjoy. Who doesn't enjoy a lively conversation. :) As far as Phil is concerned, he's a big boy and is fully capable of taking care of himself. You need not defend him. He may be super mellow but he has a kick when I need it. Not to mention my wife will always take care of that too. Love her for that. Will do the best I can to bring back that gold. Thanks.

Drew- At the end of the season I am at about a 9.5. I still enjoy hitting the ball around with my wife and kids on the court at home regardless of how much volley I have been playing. I have always been a burnout athlete ever since high school. I couldn't wait for the next sports season. Every athlete is different in that regard.

Anonymous - I will blog on the court. It is a bit of a saga though. Not sure about other players blogging. I know April does a nice blog on AVP.COM but don't know if she will be doing any others now that the season is almost over. Angie, Kerri, and Jake have websites. Maybe punch in some names on google and see what comes up. I apologize about San Fran.

Steve- Not sure on your question. My basic premise is build a big strong base in the offseason and slowly narrow it down. Think Pyramid with the tip of the Pyramid being the end all of end all peaks. i.e. World Championships and Olympics.

Todd

Anonymous said...

Todd,

What teams do you like to practice against? I'm sure that some of them are friends of yours, but are there some teams that you really don't know the guys that well?

I live in Huntington Beach and I know that last winter/spring Lambo and Stein didn't practice much against other teams. The one time I saw them play against anyone was Nick and Billy. Then in the middle of the season I saw them play against Furby/Scott.

Also, do you see any up and coming teams or players? My guess is that Furby/Casey is going to be one of the top 4 teams and more of a force next year.

Otherwise, enjoy your off-season and isn't surfing a great thing to do when you're not playing ball!

Steve HB

Todd Rogers said...

Steve- I don't care who I practice against. Rather practice in Santa Barbara than LA if possible. So whoever will come up. Don't care where they are ranked either.

I had heard that Stein and Mike were doing a lot of practice with just a coach. I know they don't like to practice vs. higher ranked teams. Kind of the Karch/Kent thing.

Assuming that Matt and Casey play together, yes they will be a force to reckon with. Not sure who all will play with one another right now. Don't see anyone jumping out of nowhere. Take the top 8-10 teams this year, mix them all up and add a few guys below them and you have your top teams. Anybody's guess how that mixture will all shake out.

Surfed this morning for an hour or so. First surf of the offseason for me. Waist to Chest high and had it all to myself.

Todd

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,

For your 3 workouts, do you concentrate more on legs? Any particular exercises you recommend specific to volleyball?

Curt

Tony said...

Todd,

Thanks a bunch for the off-season training info. Very useful for those of us trying to climb up the ranks and put together a solid training program. Personal insight mixed with training and on-court details make your blog entertaining and educational.

By the way, blowing up at an official or occasionally showing frustration lets us know that although your game is precision engineered like a German car, you're still human. Keep up the good/hard work.

Tony in Hermosa

Anonymous said...

Hey todd i was wondering what you work on for blocking and jumping for spikes? i am an Olympic Weightlifter and am 6'2 and i cant seem to jump higher i mean i can Clean and Jerk 140 kg 320lbs but youd think i could jump high by lifting that much weight. if you can give tips on how to get my block and jump better give a shout. Corey Mcbeath

beatmixer0097 said...

Hey Todd -

Thanks for the info on offseason training. I've been playing for quite a long time and at 38 can say it's the first time I went into a season with pre-training and reached a burnout point around the end of August. I started in Jan and maintained throughout the season although I believe I over-trained during the season. I'm researching for more in season regimes to help curb the over training but yesterday was my last tournament of the summer here in the Midwest and I'm sitting here on the couch with my yellow lab Sammy and SO happy I can just rest! I don't have to worry about training tomorrow morning or this week for a tournament on Sat. It's weird but I never thought I'd not want to play any ball but I think it's more about everything that goes with it and not so much the actual game. OK maybe a little. I did suffer my first injury (nothing serious) which were strains. Both my hamstring and hitting shoulder have been killing me most of the season and the training told me yesterday that the more time I stop and don't do anything anymore and just rest, the quicker I'll heel. He noted that I should research preventative stretching and proper warming up to not have a repeat next year. I don't know that I'll be competing next year, I was fortunate to train some girls who play on the Cuervo who wanted someone to train them with drills, conditioning and play against to mimic their competition. Weird to think I may not be competing anymore but I'm OK with that and I guess because I'll still be down at the beach here in Chicago working with the same, younger girls, and others who've watched us and want some help too. Needless to say I'm going to spend time this off-season reading up on beach conditioning, more drills and possibly looking to get certified for nutrition and sports performance outside of my regular corporate job. It's a turning point in my life and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again for the info and enjoy your time off and with you family and Sully.

Cheers

Michael