2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Monday, February 25, 2008

HWN in Vegas

My first HWN in Vegas was pretty much what I expected from a playing standpoint. I think it was originally slated to be a championship of all the other HWN events but that ended up not being the case. This was just the last of the 19. Worked out well for me.

I was, to be nice, average at best. I think I dug one ball in four 15 point games. Not that I expected to be very good but it would have been nice to play a little bit better. Lambo was solid but Rosy and Casey were in mid-season form. They both looked really really good. Then again, they both have been playing a ton in the HWN so I guess it should be expected that they would be playing at a higher level.

The event was decent. I can't characterize it as great. We are in a 10,000 seat arena and their is probably around 2,000 people there. It looks empty but 2,000 really isn't that bad. The production was good. Music, lights, ect... were well done. Kudos to AEG. From what I heard, all the HWN events went off okay. For a first year thing I would say that is good. I expect this will become a solid aspect of beach volleyball in the future. Hopefully I can be more involved in future years.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a article that showed up in the Daily Breeze about Las Vegas(the Breeze and the LA Daily News are now own by the same publisher, so they share stories/columnists).
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sportscolumnists/ci_8348876

Arsenal

Anonymous said...

http://www.dailybreeze.com
/sportscolumnists/ci_8348876

Unknown said...

Todd,
Which side did you play with Lambo, Casey and Sean? Having played the right now with Phil, is it hard for you to go back and forth if you played any left side(I know you started playing left with Dax). Only 1 dig but any stuff blocks when you played with Casey(I'm assuming you split block)?

Garret

Anonymous said...

Todd,
That's great you had a chance to break away from your training to compete in this novel tour that will gain in momentum - post the Beijing Games.

By the way, a month ago you stated you'd comment on the new tournamant format for select 2008events (e.g., no Thursday qualis, 16-team draws). What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Todd Rogers said...

Read the article. It was all pretty much right on from my perspective. Very fact based. Not much juice if you will.

Garret- Played right with Lambo both times and we lost to Casey/Rosy both times. Right with Sean and we won. Right and then left with Casey and we got smoked. The right is now my preferred side. Although playing left is not very difficult. Used to train with Dax when I played with SS and I would play left. We were usually pretty good. We played against Koski/Minc and Phil/Nick and I would say we almost always won. Got a stuff with Lambo actually.

Steve- It was nice to go in and out like that. I agree it could be really big after Beijing. Especially if we all do well.

Lot of things have changed. I think the AVP Schedule is going to be announced really soon. I am hoping for this coming week. Once it is announced I will give my 2-cents on it all. There are still some sensitive issues that at this time would not be wise for me to comment on.

Todd

Anonymous said...

Todd,
First tournament is going to take place in less then 2 weeks, no schedule out, no information on the changes taking place this year. Yet, for some reason, you and a only a select few know about the changes, for whatever reason. Does not sound like professional organization to me. All of your young and up and coming talent is left out right now without being able to make plans on which tournaments and tours they will be playing this summer. Please correct me if I am wrong with any of this.

Todd Rogers said...

David-

I was unaware that the first tourney is in less than 2 weeks. I thought the first tourney was in Miami from April 10-13 with a pre-qualifier. If you have some info. I do not have please let me know.

Todd

Anonymous said...

sorry, correction, 6 weeks out.

Anonymous said...

I guess I was right about everything else.