2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympic Draw

Well I was totally wrong on how the draw worked! We ended up being the 8th seed and will play Laciga/Schneider from Switzerland. The winner of our match will then play the winner of China and Germany (Klemperer/Koreng).

The Swiss are a dangerous team. They are both former blockers and both have big jump serves especially Martin Laciga. He is not afraid to go for it at any time within a game. They both pass okay and set very well. Martin likes a shoot set to the pin and Jan likes a bit of lob set but not quite out to the pin. They are probably 6'6 and 6'5 respectively.

The last time we played them was in Norway where we beat them in 3. In that game we won easily in the first game. They were trying to bomb their jump serves and missed a lot of serves. In the second game they served me jump float serves and caught me totally off guard. We battled and I actually had a dig and chance for putaway at 20-19 but Jan stuffed me and then proceeded to stuff me 2 more times in a row. In the third we won 15-11 or 12.

Looking forward to playing at 9am tomorrow morning. The women have started us off strong so hopefully us men can continue that trend.

13 comments:

UmassJSP said...

Yes Todd send the Swiss home to the Alps! You are right that the ladies are representing well. I watched the May/Walsh match against the Beligum team and they made a great comeback in Game 1. I think Beach VB is picking up tons of fans with these broadcasts. I know my wife and daughters are watching them all. Good luck Saturday morning...I will be watching in high def here at 9pm tonight in Massachusetts. Scott

@MiaBorja said...

best of luck from a total random in southern california!

Anonymous said...

Hi,I am Candy.Today I watched the women beach volleyball in ChaoYang prak.It is wonderful!
I have a dream that i will own a ticket that your team vs swiss.But the ticket is very hard to take.
I will wish you!
Come on!you and dalhausser is perfect!

Anonymous said...

what a great day in Beijing today. Some really fantastic weather,
good luck tomorrow, we'll be rooting for you and Phil

jeff

Unknown said...

best of luck to you & phil. should be a tough match but i think you guys have steadied out after your first match against latvia.

Garret

giveuscleanhands said...

Two words: Do it! You got it bro.. you and Phil will do fine. Good luck, and I can't wait to see it tonight live! wooho

DMA said...

Go get em bro. We will all be there this morning rooting you on!

DMA

Unknown said...

Wow it's amazing that your keeping a blog of your experiences at the Olympics. It's really cool 'cause I'm watching you play the Switz right now. You guys are doing a great job, winning of course. Good luck from the US, hope you bring home the gold.

Unknown said...

Way to scare the crap out of us Todd/Phil supporters(not that you meant to, we're just spoiled!)!!! Congrats on the BIG win!!! 3 more to go!

Garret

Anonymous said...

4.00am here in France, you just get qualified for the quarters !!! Congratulations to you and the "Beijing Beast"! This game was pretty insane ! I got amazed by the way you and Phil stayed cool (or at least, you seemed so :)...) during the last game...I totally freaked out in front of my screen...
Wish you the best for the rest of the tournament!

Guillaume

UmassJSP said...

In baseball they have what is known as the "heart attack closer". He gets the job done but scares you to death. You guys are doing that to us all now. When they came back from commercial and you guys were down 0-6 in set 3 I almost dropped my beer. What theater with your great comeback and the antics of Laciga thoughout the match. This is great for the sport. You and Phil should grab a nice dinner and then rest up and get your legs back. Maybe tonight watch something like Stripes...has a patriotic theme and keeps your mind off things. I think all the teams in the tournament appear a little "tight" but I think Todd and Phil have the confidence now that will push them to the top. Maybe the new team nickname should be Beijing Beast and California Confuscious.

JC said...

Congrats to you and Phil, Todd! You've played your hearts out! Keep up the great work and thank you for your blogs. I appreciate all of your efforts thus far to keep the fans intrigued.

Todd Rogers said...

Scott - I heard BVB was getting a lot of attention in the states on NBC. That is awesome.

Quippygurl - Thanks.

Candy- Thank you. You have been a great supporter in Beijing.

Jeff- Weather was pretty good in general.

Garret- I swear they are all tough.

Tyler - Thanks.

Victoria - thanks.

Guillaume - Thanks. Didn't mean to scare anyone but I got that from a bunch of people. I was calm but very very worried. Turned out well in the end though.

JC- Thanks. Just wish I could have blogged more from Beijing. Will try and catch up some now that I am home though.

Todd