2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Angola

http://www.universalsports.com/beachvolleyball - Check out this website as they are showing games live in the States.

Spent almost a week here in Stavanger and have played one match vs. Angola yesterday. They are nice guys and I hate to say it but I don't think they are one of the top 48 teams in the world. I understand the FIVB's position of having a representative from each continent, but there should be a competitive level that they have to reach before being allowed to play in the World Championships or Olympics. Not sure what that would be, but I would say something like they must have won a match in the main draw or something like that. We won 8 and 11. We switched blocked the entire time. We were up 14-2 in the first game. There is some team that did not get into the tourney because of this rule. Same thing in the Olympics. I just don't think that is right. Play Jake and Rosy tomorrow evening. I wonder how many times we have played them in the last 3+ years. Phil and I were guessing about 50. Either way, it is a lot.

Norway has had epic weather since we have been here. It has actually been hot here and is suppossed to remain hot and sunny for the entirety of the tourney. Everyone packed tons of cold weather clothes and I have not worn a long sleeve shirt or jacket yet. Crazy. So far we have seen a movie, Transformers II. Not bad. Lots of crazy fight scenes and what not. I enjoyed it in quite possibly the loudest movie theater I have ever been in. Played Golf at the Sola golf club in a Pro-Am. That was a lot of fun. Only went with 9 holes as I rarely golf. Shot the best I have ever shot though. Scored a 45 with par being a 36. Bogey golf isn't too bad since I play roughly 4 times a year. Even won the straightest drive contest to win my 70th swatch watch. Phil and I bet on our scores and I have to say I smoked him as he shot a 60. Been reading a bit. Got a great book from a friend of mine called "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters." Only on chapter 4 but a ton of info. on how to raise a daughter as a father. I like to think I do a pretty good job already. It has confirmed to me many things but it has also given me lots of good information to use over the next 8 years with Hannah who is currently 10. Thanks Brent.

7 comments:

Margo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Man, they are really spreading out this tournament. I thought you guys would play one match per day after you started. You definitely can't use the excuse that you're not well rested, even if you play a very long three game match. Good luck against Rosie/Gibb.

Garret

Anonymous said...

Keep representing the USA over there! Even though I am a Hyden fan...I still want to see you guys represent!
Good Luck...it looks like a huge field and lots of Volleyball to be played over a long period.
Why did you end up in the same pool as Rosie/Gibb?
There are plenty of pools...why didn't they shake that up a bit?
Hey I watched the OC finals on Versus...you and Phil still lost, even in the replay.
Don't you tape alternate endings?
Good Luck USA!

George Sand said...

We were pretty psyched to catch this on TV live (????) on the NBC HD feed. Hope there's more coverage throughout the WC.

Nick said...

Good game against Rosie/Gibb...net touch on the first point of the tiebreak though...

Todd Rogers said...

Margo- Inspiration Pepper. Nice.

Garrett- Tell me about it. Way too much down time. Going crazy!

Anonymous- Thanks. They seed it 1 through 48 and it just shook out that way. Same with Jen/April and Lauren/Ashley. Always sucks to go a million miles away from home and then play the same guys or gals you see all the time in AVP tourneys. Is what it is though.

Denise- Glad to see people watching although your an insider and have all the knowledge.

Nick - Complete net by me. Threw them off really bad too.

Todd

Unknown said...

Wonder if there was a "You Suck" on the tip of Gibb's tongue to the ref? They played so well in the 2nd game. Pretty amazing how that non-net call changed the momentum and it was just the 1st point. I'm guessing Gibb/Rosie should still make it through since they beat NZ and they should trounce Angola. Hopefully you won't have to play Gibb/Rosie again until you both make the finals. Good luck against NZ.

Garret