2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Monday, July 19, 2010

Hermosa #1

Nice to be playing back in the states and a two day tourney to boot. Love those two day tourneys. Wish they were all like that. Throws a little of the ole time must be in shape flare. Not completely ole time as those guys were in amazing shape playing matches that could last longer than two hours. But at least we are playing more than one or two matches a day.

Hermosa was pretty epic. Weather was hot and sunny and the crowds were out in full force. I love playing in Hermosa. I would say it is my favorite sand to play defense in. We won all 6 games but not without tight ones and controversy.

On Saturday we played Chris Icaza and Brook Billings. I played against Ish (Sean Icaza), Chris' dad way back in the day in an A and AA tourney in Santa Barbara and Sorrento. He smacked me down. Now I am playing against his son. Crazy old am I! I got a little revenge on Ish by beating Chris in two games. Second round we played Marchewka and Carambula. Won in two. Adrian Carambula has arguably the best sky ball in the game! Thing goes up to the moon and back with back spin. Gave Phil some fits. In our third game we played Casey and Brad. Went 3 games. In every game we had a 3 or 4 point lead towards the end of the game but gave up a bunch of points each time. First game we lost 21-19 after being ahead 18-14. Next game we were ahead 18-14 again and barely won 21-19. 3rd game we were up 10-7 and they tied it up at 14 all. Controversy set in with a net call on me that was overturned after I went ballistic. Casey then went ballistic and frankly rightfully so. Up ref called a net on me and then conferred with his down ref who said no he didn't net it was the ball. Changed the call to a sideout for Phil and I and Brad hit the next ball out.

Sunday we played Mayer/Prosser in the winners semis. Won in 2 games although fairly close games. Played Casey and Brad in the crossover match. Won in 2 games. Fairly easily in the first game but the second was a battle. We were down game point about 4 times before I served a float ace up the middle and then Phil stuffed Casey. In the finals we played Mayer/Prosser again. They had a great tourney beating Rosy/Jake in the second round and then Watchfogel/Strickland in the 3rd round. After they lost to us they played Sean/John and beat them 16-14 in the third game. Then beat Nygaard/Olsen in the crossovers. The finals were not so good for them though. We beat them 14 and 11. We played well and it was their first finals. 5th in a row for Phil and I at Hermosa. Love playing there.

4 comments:

Marco said...

Man I sure am glad that I get to see another great team play on the beach. I saw Gage/Menges (I was a kid then), Singin/Randy, Hovie/Dodd, Karch/Kent, and now Phil/yourself. I also want to say thank you for taking a few minutes to chat each day. See you in the LBC.

Marco said...

Hey Todd,

I was ordering another case from Bolle, and I saw that they had you listed as one of thier v-ball athletes that wears Bolle. I thought you wore Oakley. Anyhow I thought I would let you know. I am pretty sure it has not been updated, because they list Carrie Dodd as Carrie Busch.

UmassJSP said...

Thanks for the updates Todd and congrats on taking the Hermosa Crown. Maybe the AVP should give out gifts at each stop like the FIVB does with the swords and cow bells. Not sure what they would give out in Hermosa...maybe a homeless person.

I did 5 straight days in the Disney Florida parks last week and I am toast. Heat index was well into the 100's and every teenager from Brazil and Argentina was there clogging up the lines.....but my kids love it so I suck it up. Have a great week....Scott

UmassJSP said...

I came home from our family vacation in DismeyWorld to find 3 gems on my DVR. The 2010 Hermosa Final, the 1995 Cuervo Santa Cruz Gold Crown and the 2009 AVP Atlanta Final. The last two were run on ESPN Classic and I know Todd must still have nightmares about the Atlanta Final as bad as Red Sox fans do about the 1986 World Series vs NY Mets.

Hermosa was a great statement by Todd and Phil that they are taking no prisoners on the AVP tour this year. Compare and contrast that to the Atlanta Final last year when they couldnt put their foot down on Scott/Hyden's throats and let them off the mat. This years incarnation of Todd and Phil is at the next level. The other thing about Hermosa was the disheveled appearance of John Mayer who looked like he came to the beach after waking up under the pier. You are on National TV representing your sport that is fighting for survival and you show up with an unkept beard and a tank top from Walmart? Maybe the AVP needs to get unis like FIVB although I do hate most of the FIVB rules.

The 1995 Cuervo featuring Karch/Kent vs Loiola/AJ was delicious. Old school volleyball and a $100,000 first place prize which made the intensity fantastic. Does anyone know if AJ, Loiola and Kent are still solvent or did they blow all of their money in the last decade? This was Kents first win since coming back from shoulder surgery and he wanted it bad. Loiola was a great player but tried to be too flashy which cost him this match. AJ was a steady player and a lot like Todd but not as consistent on defense. Thanks to ESPN for running these matches.

The 2008 Atlanta Final I will admit I had forgotten how it turned out but knowing it was on ESPN CLassic I figured it must be a barn burner. Todd and Phil each had swings for the Title and came up short in game 3. Phil looked like he hit the wall in game 3 and after game two Geeter at the mic with Blanton passed out. So it must have been really hot. A great win for John and Sean but definitely the one that got away for our guys.

Great Summer of volleyball...the sport is doing really well and I am buying my Nivea products to support the tour. August should be great as well.....Scott