2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Austria and before and after

I was reminded by my friend Tom, the announcer in Austria, that I have been a bit lax in blogging. He is certainly right and I thank him for smacking me around and getting my head on straight. :) J/K.

Austria was as always, simply amazing. I have been there 9 out of 10 years or something like that and I am still amazed everytime I go. If every event were like that I'd try to play forever. But, they aren't so I won't. We didn't win the gold but took the bronze. Lost a tough one in the semis to Ricardo/Pedro. Had a very good game vs. Jake and Rosy. Really fun rallies. Always seems like that vs. them.

Before that we had won the previous 2 events in Stare Jablonki, Poland and Quebec, Canada. Poland is another spot similar to Austria. Little bit colder this year with some rain but still very nice in my book. Quebec was the best first time event I have ever been too. Promoter did a great job and the fans were great.

This season has been a tale of several mini seasons. 1st 3 events we were on top of our game winning the first 2 and taking second in the 3rd one to Alison and Emanuel. That was season #1. Then Phil sprained his ankle in Beijing and we had to forfeit and take a 5th. The following week at the WC in Rome we took a 9th and 2 weeks later we lost to Reckermann and Brink and took a 5th. That was season #2. Then in Switzerland we took a 2nd to Alison/Emanuel but beat Reckermann and Brink in the semis in a very good game. In Russia we took a 3rd. Then as you know we took 1st in Quebec in a bit of a watered down tourney and Poland with a full field and then 3rd in Austria. That was season #3. We have 2 more weekends in Finland and the Netherlands and hopefully we can continue with season #3 and maybe win 1 or 2. Hasn't been the season we were hoping for but not much we can do about a sprained ankle and other issues. It is what it is. I also believe that the teams keep getting better and better. Alison and Emanuel are playing the best on tour this year and Reckermann and Brink have both been healthy. Little mix up in the Brazilian ranks but whoever plays with Ricardo is going to be in the mix. The Polish guys are coming on really strong and the young Russians and Italians are always a threat. Bella and Patrick from Switzerland are contending to win tourneys. Of course you can't forget the rest of the Germans or our American compatriots either. The tour is deeper and stronger and is only going to get more so for next year. Good reason to open it up a bit but that is another conversation for another day.

2 comments:

UmassJSP said...

Good to hear from you, Todd. I hope all is well with the family.....and your portfolio! You might not want to collect too many Euros as their whole system is suspect. I watched the Poland Final and I was impressed that you guys were not intimidated at all by the home crowd. You really took them out of the match in set 1. Phil made a great defensive play in set 3 that I thought was a turning point.

FIVB is getting better but I think they should dump the country quota and just let the best teams play even if a few countries would dominate. The product suffers. But overall I really miss the AVP and seeing all of the American teams battle it out. Enjoy the rest of the Summer and good luck in the remaining events. Scott - Cape Cod Mass

Drew said...

Hi Todd,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Since Beach is my favorite sport to watch (and play), I'm bummed that the season is drawing to a close, but I bet you feel differently :-). All the massive travel, time away from home, and injury issues must have been challenging and grueling to say the least. I'm curious if your family joined you on any of the events.

Best to you and Phil on the home stretch, and I'm looking forward to following along on YouTube and Universal Sports.

Best,
Drew