2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Injury in Aland

As most people already know, I injured my knee in Finland. Up to that point we had been playing quite well. We were in control of the finals match up 18-15 after I sided out and felt the tweak in my knee. Bummer but it happens.

I have actually had a slight tear in my miniscus for about 3 months now. Has been a pain in the arse, especially over the 6 weeks in a row we had, but got through with decent results. Felt great in Aland after that week off but in the finals it was bugging me and was quite stiff.

My season is done for the year as I will have surgery on Friday to repair the miniscus. Had a second MRI yesterday and saw the doctor to confirm that their is no other damage to the knee. The MRI came out with a healthy ACL, PCL, MCL etc... Their was further damage to the medial miniscus though which is why it hurt so damn much more than the little tear I had before. Good news considering an ACL would have put me back for 6 months and this should only put me out for a month or so. I was going to have surgery next week after the Netherlands anyways so now I am going a week earlier. Works out alright as I would have taken several weeks off from training to give my body some badly needed rest. Now it will just come a month earlier than planned and I start lifting and training in earnest when I normally start doing so in November.

That is the scoop.

7 comments:

Scott said...

Thank goodness you avoided the ACL! I broke a toe indoors last week and the time off is really disorienting. Best of luck on your (full, I hope) recovery.

Brad Schvaneveldt said...

Good to hear the damage was minimal, I hope everything heals well and you'll be back to full strength soon. Good luck on Friday!

Andrew said...

remember you won't be burning those 4000 calories a day so watch the diet postop



best wishes/prayers for a speedy recovery

Drew said...

Hi Todd,

I know from first hand experience SB has great orthopedic surgeons, so I know you'll be in great hands. All the best with your rehab, and congrats on a fine season in spite of all the challenges.

Steve said...

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, Todd! Congrats on a great season!!

WeeZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew said...

God speed recovery