2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

3rd in Atlanta

A struggle it certainly was. Every single one of our matches seemed extremely difficult. Against Tramblie and Morrison we should have gone to 3 games. We won in 2 but both were by 2 points. That was Friday night.

Saturday we played Olson and Wong and it was the hottest I have played in this year. Humid as well. Center court had very little air moving around it. The outside courts had a nice breeze keeping it a little cooler. Again we won in 2 games but it should have gone 3. We won both games by 2 points. I was pretty hot and tired and my legs felt very heavy. The last play of the game we served Kevin. Phil was blocking angle and I started to slide to the line when I saw Kevin take a peak at me. I switched to run behind the block but Kevin saw that as well and poked it line. I stopped and layed it out to pick up the pokey just off the sand. Olsen scooped my angle bang and then poked it line over Phil. I picked that one up too and put everything in to another angle bang and hit it off of Olsen. I was cooked after that play though and it was a good thing we finished it there.

That night we played Hyden and Keenan. The first game was anything but good for me. We lost by a lot. The second game they were terrible. The third game was a better game but they made a couple of plays in the end and won 15-11 I think. The next morning we played Baxter and Prosser. We were struggling and they were playing well. Bax scooping balls and Prosser siding out. We served Bax and were able to get some points and won the first game 21-19. Another 2 point game. The next game we actually played well and won by 6 or 7 points.

In the crossover semis we played Anthony and Fred and they lived up to their team moniker of team jump serve. They created havoc with their serves. The first game they literally served us off the court. I think we lost by about 6. They were really beating it down Phil's line and must have had at least 4 clean aces down the line. They had one in my angle as well. In the second game we didn't give up the aces and it was knotted up at 18 all. We were still struggling to pass their serves but we were at least giving ourselves a chance by keeping it in play. At 19-18 with them up Fred banged another serve down Phil's line that jumped off the tape and Phil couldn't handle it. Then Anthony sided out for game to make 21-19. Congrats to both of them especially Anthony who made his first final.

Out of the winners circle but managed to score a 3rd at least. Looking forward to having only a drive to get to the next tourney in Hermosa. Then again, the following Monday we fly to Berlin so not that much of a reprieve.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Was wondering if your bout with flu in Louisville was a factor in your performance in Atlanta? You didn't have much time to recover! Good luck in Hermosa.

Unknown said...

I was hoping you'd win every tournament but I guess that wasn't very realistic, after all, you and Phil are only human!!
Here's hoping you get back to the Gatorade interview in Hermosa!

Garret

Anonymous said...

todd, bad call against fred and anthony didn't help you much either...i was sitting directly behind you on the line....the ONLY thing the line judge saw on that call was the inside of his eyelids or either the stars in the sky because he was desperately trying to keep from getting a return bounce facial...hope that you are feeling better for hermosa...alan beverly/birmingham, alabama

TJ Marsh said...

Todd,

You arent joking about the heat, I live in Columbus Ga, 100 miles south of ATL. Last weekend was the hottest of the summer so far, to bad the tourney coincided with the heat. A 3rd on the AVP in that heat and recovering from being sick is very respectable, Congrats. Good luck in the deep sand this weekend.

Josh.

Anonymous said...

Todd -

Just wanted to say thanks for the shoulder routine in DiG. I've been struggling with bursitis since college, hopefully it'll get my rotator cuff strong enough to alleviate some of the pain.

Good luck in Hermosa.

UmassJSP said...

Great synopsis of the Atlanta event Todd. I can sum up the weather here by saying my daughter had a field trip to Fenway Park last night and had to wear gloves and a parka. Lakers look like they might be in trouble against the Celtics. Back in the 80s I literally lived and died on every possession but now I dont care. I am like the NBA plyers...rooting for myself. Best of luck Todd in the California tournament and over in Berlin. WOW what a trip that must be. With the price of gas I will be staying home and watching some AVP. Have a great weekend everyone.

UmassJSP said...

I got to watch the Atlanta Final today. Some great volleyball but wasnt the same without team Teacher and Creature. Interview with Coach Mike Dodd during the game was well done and he didnt give stock answers which was refreshing compared to the useless interviews with NBA and NFL coaches during games. Fox Sports production was very good as well. Now if they would show the matches at a better time than 1pm on Saturdays here in Boston it would be even better. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

NICE

Anonymous said...

Well done in Hermosa! Especially on Sat. against Rosie/Jake. Loved how Phil and yourself didn't panic. Taking the timeout was so the right call. Many inexperienced teams may have tried to play thru it.

Good luck on the FIVB tour over the next month. See you in LB (at least your schedule says you will be there).

Arsenal 12

STAY PUMPED! GO LAKERS!

Unknown said...

Back to the Gatorade Champion's Interview in Hermosa!! Congrats to you and Phil and good luck on the FIVB!

Garret

Todd Rogers said...

Dave- Could have been. I wasn't sick in Atlanta but it was hot and I felt pretty drained. I thought more than anything that we were tired as a team and not very fired up to there.

Garret- That would have been nice.

Alan- Line judge is a good friend and I agree with you. He couldn't see anything since he was protecting himself from the ball.

TJ- Great to hear we timed it perfectly. :)

JSEV- Hope it helps. Worked for me.

Lakers are really in trouble now. Just feels like Boston wants it more.

Thanks Arsenal and Garret. Hopefully I will see you guys in Long Beach and Brooklyn respectively.

Todd