2008 Olympic Gold Medalists

2008 Olympic Gold Medalists
(click on picture to see larger picture)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Win in Chicago

Phil and I pushed through a tough weekend to win in the Windy City. Wasn't very aptly named this past weekend but I suppose that is probably a good thing for beach volleyball.

We played at Oak Street Beach for the first time ever. Normally we play at North Avenue Beach but there was something else that had reserved the beach so we moved to Oak Street. Always a little reserved when we go to a new spot, especially when the old spot is awesome. Oak Street Beach was very nice though. The sand was great and like always, the crowd was fantastic.

Phil and I played Scott Davenport and Jonathon Acosta in the first round of play. We smoked them in the first game 21-10. The second was a battle though as Davenport was siding out really well and I was not. We won 23-21 but only after they had a serve for game at 20-19. In our second match we played ALB and Carlucci. We were dragging a bit and needed something to fire us up. Fortunately the ref provided that by blowing a call and we fired up on him and took it out on ALB and Jeff. I think the scores were about 14 and 16.

In our third match we played Nygaard and Mayer. They played well in the first game and won 21-18. Mayer was scooping me and putting balls away and both he and Jeff were siding out well. In the second game Phil and I upped our service game as their was a good side to really bang your jump serve from. We scored more points by putting pressure on their passing game and won that won 21-14. In the third we traded a few sideouts before we went up a couple of points midgame. We took it strong to the end and won 15-11.

On Saturday we played Rosy/Gibb and had a battle. The game started off in a drizzle but by the end the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds in what would become a really nice day. Phil and I won the first game but were behind the entire second game. The ref made a very poor call which would have made the game 18 all but instead put Rosy and Jake up 19-17. They were able to win 21-19. In the third game the calls were reversed as Jake was called for a mystery double hit and then a ball that Phil "dug" but that was probably on the sand was not called and we won that point. Jake and Sean could not recover from that and we won 15-11 or so.

In our semifinal match we played Sean Scott and Nick Lucena and won in a 3 game marathon. Sean tends to play very slowly as he towels off a lot and generally slows the play of the game down. We won the first fairly handily but in the second Nick served really well. I know he had at least 4 aces in that game and also accounted for a couple of other points on very good serves. They won that game 21-16 I think and we had to go 3 games. In the third we played well and won 15-10. The game was long though as Sean took a medical timeout which is 5 minutes long. I think from start to finish the match lasted 90 minutes. This gave us only 25 minutes until the start of the final against Jake and Rosy.

In the finals we started off slow or more likely I should say I started off slow. The first point was an ace up the middle. The second was a shank and error by me. Another ace and then a scoop by Rosy on a line shot. Bamm we are down 4-0. The final score of the game was 21-13, we won. Phil went on a run from the service line serving bombs and stuffing balls. Basically everything went our way after we were down 6-10. In the second game we didn't start off as slow as in the first and continued to play strong. Phil was really very good in the finals. He served and blocked exceptionally well and when he plays that well, I just have to make sure I don't screw it up. The second game was 21-16 and we took home the Chicago title which Phil had not won yet and really wanted. Good weekend. Now off to Brooklyn, New York.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Congratulations. The momentum you and Phil are developing is very impressive. I hope you keep the fire alive as the Olympic rings come into focus.

I have really enjoyed the videos that NBC put together. It's great to get to know you and Phil a little better. Based on those videos and his interview with Geeter, Phil seems like such a down-to-earth guy -- this is remarkable to me given his immense talent.

It seems like both of you are introverts. Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory (MBTI)? I use it in my work and find it to be invaluable in helping teams work cohesively. My guesses are the you are a ISTJ (The classic coach profile -- John Wooden and Coach K are ISTJ's) and Phil is an ISTP (Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Shaq all share this type). I'm an ENFJ and I'm more suited for counseling than pro sports :)

If the MBTI is familiar to you, I'd enjoy your reaction to my guesses. If it's not, then I'm speaking Greek and I'll stop :)

One last issue: Have you decided about playing in San Diego? I would love to see you and Phil win that tourney as a prelude to Olympic Gold!

Dave in San Diego

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to see you guys in Brooklyn, but my wife will probably be in labor that day so I guess it'll be another match on DVR.

Just don't kill yourselves trying to come out on top on the AVP. We'd all rather see you with a gold medal around your neck.

Grats on another win!

UmassJSP said...

Todd-
Thanks for taking the time to give us the recaps and congrats on taking donw the Chicago Title. All the other teams on the AVP tour must get juiced to try to take down the World Champs but you guys have been able to find motivation to not overlook those ham and eggers. Impressive! AVP is going to Brooklyn New York but no stop in Boston or Cape Cod up here in Massachusetts. DAMN! It was great seeing you guys last year up here in New England which is secretly a hotbed of AVP fans. Enjoy New York and have a great trip...Scott from Cape Cod

Todd Rogers said...

Dave- Thanks. Glad to know that the folks at NBC are doing a good job humanizing Phil and I. I have heard of the tests but you will have to further enlighten me in San Diego. Most of that was Greek to me.

JSEV- New Baby.... AVP....Probably a good choice by you.

Scott- Would have love to come back up your way but I don't pull the AVP strings.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Congrats on winning here in Chicago! I brought my 3 year old to see and he loved every minute of it...after the finals, he wanted "the aweball friends" as he calls it to sign his mini ball...thanks to you & Phil for taking the time out to do so...he still has not put that ball down!

Not sure if you remember, but he was the little guy who told you "Good luck in China!"

Anonymous said...

Todd,

I guess your response means you and Phil are coming to "America's Finest City"! Awesome! If you guys aren't too busy playing cards, singing autographs, mauling the competition, and daydreaming about skewering Emanuel/Ricardo in Beijing with your new swords, I'd love to translate the Greek for you. Lol.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Cadieux-Heese CAN [23] Kjemperud-Skarlund NOR [8] 1-2 (16-21, 28-26, 14-16

heck of a battle

: (

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,

I was watching a couple of games you played back in 2007 in the FIVB tour and noticed some of phil’s set were called fault (especially during Emmanuel-Ricardo ‘s match in Paris) and that almost never happens in the AVP tour. Therefore, I was wondering if the FIVB referees are applying the rules in a “stricter” way concerning the sets , or the Mikasa ball may have a different touch or was he stressed by the challenge?
It seems that the ball’s turning a lot in the AVP, but the referees rarely calls it fault. Perhaps is it for entertainment purpose…
Anyway, good luck in Beijing, although I don’t really think luck is something to rely on. You seem really to dominate both the north American and international tour and I would safely bet on gold for you and Kerry /Misty may. (I talked to Penggen Wu in Paris and he thinks so too.)
Since the last French team just lost in Marseille this morning and failed to catch the last available spot, I’ll be supporting you in Olympic this summer.

Nicolas, a French player.

Todd Rogers said...

I do remember. Glad you guys had fun in Chicago.

Dave- Barring injury or something Phil and I will be down in San Diego. See you then.

Bummed that Ahren and Mark won't be at the Olympics. Good guys that are fun to hang with.

Nicolas - Thanks for the confidence. Last year the FIVB refs were really focused on calling lifts and they did on Phil a couple of times. AVP they don't look for that as much. More spin and stuff on the ball.

Todd